|Content Provider||Cleveland Museum of Art 2007-08, 2008-09 Honorable Mention, 2009-10, 2010-11 Honorable Mention, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14|
11150 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
Phone: (216) 707-2491
Fax: (216) 421-9277
|Program Type||Individual Program|
|Program Rating||based on 13 evaluation(s).|
|Target Audience||Education: Grade(s): 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12|
|Maximum Number of Participants||30|
|Minimum Number of Participants||1|
|Primary Disciplines||Fine Arts, Language Arts/English, Social Studies/History|
|Program Description||Compare ritual and royal objects from the Yoruba and Edo peoples of Nigeria to learn how their rulers maintain worldly authority with the assistance of supernatural forces. Students will delight in examining a colorful beaded crown which empowers a Yoruba ruler and a three hundred year old bronze sculpture which establishes legitimacy for an Edo king. These and other stunning objects introduce divination, mythology and communication with ancestors to your class.|
1. Open with discussion on difference between Supernatural and Secular maintenance of power.
2. Introduce sculptures and explain historical/cultural significance.
3. Compare and contrast Yoruba and Benin cultures.
4. Ask students how Americans honor historical figures.
5. Answer remaining questions.
1. Students will learn the similarities, as well as differences, among the Yoruba and Benin
peoples—particularly in regards to attaining political power—which are reflected in their
works of art.
2. Students will understand that secular power in both the Yoruba and Benin cultures is
acquired and maintained through access to supernatural power.
3. Students will create a chart during the program which illustrates how Yoruba and Benin art relate in terms of politics and religion, as well as representations of ancestry.
|National/Common Core Standards to which this program aligns||All programs are aligned with the National Education Standards, Ohio Department of Education Academic Standards, and New York State Learning Standards.|
|Program Length||45-60 minutes|
This program is available by request ONLY
By Request Cost: $135.00
By Request Cost with Premium Service: $120.00 What's this?
|Program Fee Notes||
* All payments must be made within 30 days of registration.
* Purchase orders are due within 10 days of registration
* Bulk discounts available
* Multi-point discounts available
|Cancellation Policy||Programs are non-refundable, however cancellations due to technical difficulties, school closings, or those received 48 hours in advance may be rescheduled for no additional charge. Rescheduling is subject to availability.|
|Is recording allowed?||No|
|Program Delivery Mode(s)||
Videoconference - H.323 (Polycom, Cisco/Tandberg, LifeSize, etc...)
|Minimum Technology Specifications for sites connecting to this provider||
Sites can connect to the CMA directly via IP - all other connections (ISDN, IHETS, Vision Athena) must be bridged.
Schools are required to dial into the CMA. Please state connection speed on registration form. CMA can connect from 384 kbps up to 3 mbps speed.
Request this Program Now
It is necessary to have a PIN to request a connection. Find out how to get your free PIN, or Find your PIN.
For additional assistance, phone 866-826-2452.
Forward this Program Flyer