|Content Provider||Cleveland Museum of Art 2007-08, 2008-09 Honorable Mention, 2009-10, 2010-11 Honorable Mention, 2011-12, 2012-13|
11150 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
Phone: (216) 707-2491
Fax: (216) 421-9277
|Program Type||Individual Program|
|Program Rating||based on 39 evaluation(s).|
|Target Audience||Education: Grade(s): 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12|
|Maximum Number of Participants||30|
|Minimum Number of Participants||1|
|Primary Disciplines||Fine Arts, Foreign/World Languages, Social Studies/History|
This lesson introduces the art of selected cultures in ancient Mesoamerica (today, Mexico, Guatemala and adjacent countries). Objects of ceramic, gold and stone (including jade) shed light on religion and rulership among the Aztec, Maya, and others in the centuries before European contact. An effort is made to provoke students to think critically as they help the instructor analyze art works and their meanings.
Spanish language presentation available. Please specify if Spanish version is requested.
1. Discuss map of Mesoamerica.
2. Introduce Olmec culture, their materials, and technical processes.
3. Introduce Maya culture, sacred ballgame, artifacts, and glyphs.
4. Discuss ancient site of Teotihuacán, and look at the grid plan of the city.
5. Introduce Aztec culture, including their use of calendar systems and religious beliefs.
6. Discuss European contact, and its effect on Ancient American civilizations.
1. Through artifacts in the CMA’s collection, students will be introduced to aspects of the daily life and rituals of Mesoamerican cultures.
2. Students will learn about the various materials and technical innovations used to make objects.
3. Students will learn how these objects and artifacts are interpreted.
|National/Common Core Standards to which this program aligns||All programs are aligned with the National Education Standards, Ohio Department of Education Academic Standards, and New York State Learning Standards.|
|Program Length||45-60 minutes|
This program is available by request ONLY
By Request Cost: $135.00
By Request Cost with Premium Service: $120.00 What's this?
|Program Fee Notes||
* Optional Spanish language presentation available on request - program fee for Spanish language presentation is $165.
* All payments must be made within 30 days of registration
* Purchase orders are due within 10 days of registration.
* Bulk discounts available *(not available on foreign language presentations)*
* Multi-point discounts available
|Cancellation Policy||Programs are non-refundable, however cancellations due to technical difficulties, school closings, or those received 48 hours in advance may be rescheduled for no additional charge. Rescheduling is subject to availability.|
|Is recording allowed?||No|
|Program Delivery Mode(s)||
Videoconference - H.323 (Polycom, Cisco/Tandberg, LifeSize, etc...)
|Minimum Technology Specifications for sites connecting to this provider||
Sites can connect to the CMA directly via IP - all other connections (ISDN, IHETS, Vision Athena) must be bridged.
Schools are required to dial into the CMA. Please state connection speed on registration form. CMA can connect from 384 kbps up to 3 mbps speed.
Request this Program Now
It is necessary to have a PIN to request a connection. Find out how to get your free PIN, or Find your PIN.
For additional assistance, phone 866-826-2452.
Forward this Program Flyer