1. The program begins with a discussion of what a wetland is based on their brainstorm. I will have slides to show examples
2. Participants play a little quiz to review plant parts and the role they play.
3. Together, we predict, examine and distinguish what the adaptations are and how they have helped the plant survive.
4. While examining the plants, groups will complete the charts.
5. We hypothesize and discuss the role these plants play in the wetland and point out ways that we can help conserve them.
6. Questions are welcome throughout the conference, but time is allowed at the end for further questions.
The participant will:
- identify features and types of wetlands - water, soil and vegetation
- identify some wetland plants and animals
- compare the structure of different plants and show how their structure enables them to live in a specific environment
- make simple predictions and inferences based on observations
All grades: A1: Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry;
A2: Understanding about scientific inquiry;
E3: Understanding about science and technology;
G1: Science as a human endeavour.
NS.K-4.3: Life Science:
C1: Characteristics of animals;
C2: Life cycles of living things;
C3: Organisms and their environments;
E3: Abilities to distinguish between natural objects and objects made by humans;
F4: Changes in environments.
NS.5-8.3: Life Science:
C1: Structure and function of living systems;
C2: Reproduction and heredity;
C4: Populations and ecosystems;
C5: Diversity and adaptations of organisms;
F2: Populations, resources and environments.
NS.9-12.3: Life Science:
C4: Interdependence of organisms;
C5: Matter, Energy, and Organization in Living Systems;
C6: The Behaviour of Organisms.
Science - Living Systems
Grade 3: Growth and changes in plants
Grade 4: Habitats and communities
Grade 6: Diversity of living things
Grade 7: Interaction within ecosystems
Grade 10: Biology - Sustainability of Ecosystems; Ecosystems and Human Activity
Grade 4: Plant growth and changes
Grade 5: Wetland Ecosystems
Grade 7: Interactions and ecosystems
Grade 8: Freshwater systems
Grade 10: Science 20: Changes in Living Systems