1. Participants play a quick quiz with the presenter to review plant parts and functions.
2. We examine and discuss the questions about latitude and climate of the Mediterranean (and the stomata experiment results).
3. We examine and discuss physical traits of representative plants and predict their adaptation.
4. Time is allowed for questions and answers after the presentation as well as during the presentation.
The participant will:
- analyze climographs to determine climate of specified regions
- examine and compare physical traits of plants and predict the adaptation
- engage in a discussion about relationship of climate, environment, and plant characteristics
- develop an understanding and appreciation of importance of plants to humans
All grades: A1: Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry;
A2: Understanding about scientific inquiry;
E3: Understanding about science and technology;
G1: Science as a human endeavour.
NS.K-4.3: Life Science:
C1: Characteristics of animals;
C2: Life cycles of living things;
C3: Organisms and their environments;
F4: Changes in environments.
NS.5-8.3: Life Science:
C1: Structure and function of living systems;
C2: Reproduction and heredity;
C4: Populations and ecosystems;
C5: Diversity and adaptations of organisms;
F2: Populations, resources and environments.
NS.9-12.3: Life Science:
C4: Interdependence of organisms;
C5: Matter, Energy, and Organization in Living Systems;
C6: The Behaviour of Organisms.
The physical processes that shape the Earth's surface.
The characteristics and spatial distribution of ecosystems on Earth's surface
NSS-G.K-12.5: Environment and Society:
Understand how human actions modify the physical environment
Science - Living Systems
Grade 3: Growth and changes in plants
Grade 4: Habitats and communities
Grade 6: Diversity of living things
Grade 7: Interaction within ecosystems
Grade 10: Biology - Sustainability of Ecosystems; Ecosystems and Human Activity
Grade 11: Physical Geography: Patterns, Processes and Interactions - Geographic Foundations: Space and Systems; Human-Environment Interactions
Grade 4: Plant growth and changes
Grade 5: Wetland Ecosystems
Grade 7: Interactions and ecosystems
Grade 8: Freshwater systems
Grade 10: Science 20: Changes in Living Systems
Grade 9: Social Studies 10.2 Develop skills of geographic thinking