1. Students are introduced to Aztec culture through a mask from the museum collection.
2. Next, students discuss the flag of Mexico, it's symbolism, and identify the Aztec emblem in the center of the flag (founding of Mexico City-- Tenochtitlan).
3. Students begin the build the eagle mask (first stage of puppet building).
4. Students identify Mexico City on a map and travel back in time to the days of the Aztecs (just before Cortez arrived in 1519). The spiritual center, chinampas (farm life), and the warrior class are discussed through images and mask art.
5. Students build second stage of puppet.
6. Students participate in an interactive lesson to identify ancient pictographs of animals indigenous to the New World. Mask images are shown.
7. Students progress to third puppet building stage.
8. Students explore Mexico once Cortez landed on its shores by tracing his steps through maps and masks representing his travels and conquest. The blend of Aztec & Spanish cultures is highlighted.
9. Students finish the puppet.
10. Students are introduced to Dia de los Muertos, a Mexican holiday that is an example of the blended cultures of Mexico.
11. Students view a video clip of a parade during Dia de los Muertos to end the program.
The participant will:
-develop an appreciation of masks as a global art form and means of expression
- explore the role of masks in societies of other countries
- engage in a hands-on art activity by building a a paper eagle mask
- develop an appreciation for other cultures
- engage in a discussion about an ancient indigenous society of the Americas- the Aztecs
- engage in a discussion about the influence of Cortez & Spain on Mexico
- compare the Aztecs culture to Spanish culture via mask art, religion, traditions
- explore Dia de los Muertos as a blend of Aztec & Spanish cultures.
National Educational Technology Standards (NETS)
National Education Technology Standards (NETS)
NA-VA.K-4.1; NA-VA.K-4.3; NA-VA.K-4.4; NA-VA.K-4.5; NA-VA.K-4.6; NA-VA.5-8.3; NA-VA.5-8.4; NA-VA.5-8.5;
NSS.GK-12.1; NSS.G.K-12.2; NSS.G.K-12.4; NSS.G.K-12.5; NSS.G.K-12.6
NSS-WH.5-12.5; NSS.WH.5-12.6; NSS.WH.5-12.9