Words & Music Songwriter Workshop:
1. Opening comments and introduction by CMHOFM Staff.
2. Songwriter performs songs created from students' lyrics.
3 Songwriter comments on additional student lyrics.
4. Songwriter fields students' questions in between songs or after all songs have been performed.
5. If requested and if time allows, songwriter will close with an original song.
6. A recording of the songs is sent to teacher.
1. Interact with a professional songwriter.
2. Listen to songs created from their original lyrics.
3. Receive feedback on their lyrics and have an opportunity to discuss their writing experience with a professional songwriter.
4. Compare & contrast the melody they imagined for their song to the one performed by the songwriter.
5. Engage in discussion with songwriter.
6. explain their word-choice, intent, inspiration, and process used in composing their lyric.
7. Comment on the musical adaptation of their song lyric.
ELA Common Core Curriculum Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1 Read closely, make logical inferences, cite textual evidence to support claims - 1,2,4,6,7,9
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.2 Determine central ideas or themes of a text, analyze their development, summarize key points - 1,2,4,9
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.4 Interpret words and phrases as used in a text, analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone - 5,6,7
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.5 Analyze the structure of texts including how portions relate to each other and the whole - 2,3,6
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.7 Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words - 7, 10
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.9 Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics, compare authors approach - 4
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.3 Apply knowledge of language to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening - 4
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.5 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meaning - 8
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience - 8
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Strengthen writing by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach - 2,9
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions - 1,6
The following standards are organizing principles of the unit:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.1 Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.10 Write routinely over extended time frames and shorter time frames for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences.
Words & Music addresses the following National Music Association of Music Educators Standards:
Standard 6: Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
Standard 7: Evaluating music and music performances.
Standard 8: Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
Standard 9: Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
Words & Music addresses the following Tennessee Music Standards:
Standard 6.0 Listening and Analyzing - Students will listen to, analyze, and describe music.
Standard 7.0 Evaluating - Students will evaluate music and music performances.
Standard 8.0 Interdisciplinary Connections - Students will understand relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
Standard 9.0 Historical and Cultural Relationships - Students will understand music in relation to history and culture.
For ELA Common Core Standards and National Music Standards - Please see National/Common Core Section.