1. This program begins with a brief introduction to the National Park Service for first time students of our programs.
2. A discussion is held on where the United States acquired all the land it gave away under the Homestead Act of 1862.
3. The impact the Civil War had on the passage of the Homestead Act.
4. What were the requirements of the Homestead Act.
5. What were the impacts of the Homestead Act-with a video.
The participant will:
- explore the impacts of the Civil War on the Homestead Act of 1862.
- develop an understanding of the requirements of receiving Free Land under the Homestead Act of 1862.
- engage in discussion about the affects of the Homestead Act of 1862.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1 through 3
NSS-G.K-12.4 HUMAN SYSTEMS
Understand the characteristics, distribution, and migration of human populations on Earth's surface.
Understand the processes,patterns, and functions of human settlement.
Understand how the forces of cooperation and conflict among people influence the division and control of Earth's surface.
NSS-G.K-12.5 ENVIRONMENT AND SOCIETY
Understand how human actions modify the physical environment.
Understand how physical systems affect human systems.
Understand the changes that occur in the meaning, use, distribution, and importance of resources.
NSS-G.K-12.6 THE USES OF GEOGRAPHY
Understand how to apply geography to interpret the past.
Understand how to apply geography to interpret the present and plan for the future.
NSS-USH.K-4 LIVING AND WORKING TOGETHER IN FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES, NOW AND LONG AGO
Understand family life now and in the past, and family life in various places long ago.
Understands the history of the local community and how communities in North America varied long ago.
NSS-USH.K-4.2 THE HISTORY OF STUDENTS OWN STATE OR REGION
Understands the people, events, problems, and ideas that were significant in creating the history of their state.
NSS-USH.5-12.4 ERA 4: EXPANSION AND REFORM (1801-1861)
Understands United States territorial expansion between 1801 and 1861, and how it affected relations with external powers and American Indians.
Understands how the industrial revolution, increasing immigration, the rapid expansion of slavery, and the westward movement changed the lives of Americans and led toward regional tensions.