1. This program begins with a brief introduction to the National Park Service for first time students of our programs.
2. A brief overview of the Homestead Act is discussed.
3. A discussion on the types of houses built on the plains with a video is held.
4. A discussion on the chores of a homestead child is held with a video on milking cows.
5. A guided discussion on the inside of a log cabin with pictures.
6. If time allows there is a video on general stores and one on growing wheat not only to show the process, but show how agricultural machinery has evolved.
7. Summary and questions.
The participant will:
-gain an understanding of the Homestead Act of 1862
-learn about life in the homesteading era
-understand the daily routine of a homesteader.
-compare and contrast life as a homesteader and their own.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1 through 3
NSS-G.K-12.2 PLACES AND REGIONS
Understand the physical and human characteristics of places.
Understand that people create regions to interpret Earth's complexity.
Understand how culture and experience influence people's perceptions of places and regions.
NSS-G.K-12.5 ENVIRONMENT AND SOCIETY
Understand how human actions modify the physical environment.
NSS-G.K-12.6 THE USES OF GEOGRAPHY
Understand how to apply geography to interpret the past.
NSS-USH.K-4.1 LIVING AND WORKING TOGETHER IN FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES, NOW AND LONG AGO
Understands family life now and in the past, and family life in various places long ago
Understands the history of the local community and how communities in North America varied long ago
NSS-USH.K-4.3 THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES: DEMOCRATIC PRINCIPLES AND VALUES AND THE PEOPLE FROM MANY CULTURES WHO CONTRIBUTED TO ITS CULTURAL, ECONOMIC, AND POLITICAL HERITAGE
Understands the causes and nature of movements of large groups of people into and within the United States, now and long ago
NSS-USH.5-12.4 ERA 4: EXPANSION AND REFORM (1801-1861)
Understands United States territorial expansion between 1801 and 1861, and how it affected relations with external powers and Native Americans
NSS-USH.5-12.6 ERA 6: THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE INDUSTRIAL UNITED STATES (1870-1900)
Understands how the rise of corporations, heavy industry, and mechanized farming transformed the American people