1. Introduction/Historical Background
2. Group Primary Source Analysis
5. Questions and Answers
Through discussion, reading, and examination of primary source documents, students will:
1. Use reading comprehension and context clues to discover Smith’s motivation and audience for his map of Virginia.
2. Discuss some of the hardships that people faced as they relocated from England to Virginia.
3. Use critical thinking, reading, and writing skills to analyze primary sources and determine the ways in which this map informed people about the Virginia settlement.
4. Understand the factors that led people to decide to move across the Atlantic and begin the settlement in the New World.
NA-VA.K-4.4 Visual Arts
NA-VA.5-8.4 Visual Arts
NA-VA.9-12.3 Visual Arts
Our HistoryConnects programs are aligned with both national standards and Virginia Standards of Learning. While our programs can be tailored to suit learners of any age, they are initially designed for students in upper elementary and secondary schools.