Stages of Surgery
1. Original use of the robotic surgery
2. Engineering the robotic system for human use
3. Preparing the patient
4. Inside view of the operating field and organs
5. Closing the incision
6 - Final wrap-up
The participant will:
- explore the role of engineering in medicine
- compare the advantages in medicine through technology
- engage in a discussion about disease progression and injury
- develop an appreciation for linking current learning with future careers
- career pathways
LS1A 6-8 -- Structure and function
LS1A 9-12 -- Structure and function
LS1B 6-8 -- Growth and development of organisms
Alignment to NJSLS - Science:
MS-LS1-3 Use argument supported by evidence for how the body is a system of interacting subsystems composed of groups of cells.
MS-LS1-5 Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for how environmental and genetic factors influence the growth of organisms.
HS-LS1-2 Develop and use a model to illustrate the hierarchical organization of interacting
systems that provide specific functions within multicellular organisms.
HS-LS1-3 Plan and conduct an investigation to provide evidence that feedback mechanisms
Connections to NJSLS - English Language Arts:
WHST.6-8.1 Write arguments focused on discipline content.
WHST.6-8.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
WHST.9-12.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects to answer a
question (including a self-generated question) or solve a problem; narrow or broaden the inquiry when appropriate; synthesize multiple sources on the subject, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.