1. The program begins by learning what a decomposer is and why they are important to a food chain/web.
2. The participants will meet some worms!
3. Participants will learn what vermicomposting is and they will explore the 'worm bin.'
5. Final discussion about how worms are important to plants and therefore, animals.
At all times, questions are welcome!
The participants will:
- explore a worm bin.
- express appreciation for the importance of worms in an ecosystem.
- explain the importance of decomposers.
NS.K-8.1 Science as InquiryAs a result of activities in grades K-8, all students should develop
Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry
Understanding about scientific inquiry
NS.K-4.3 Life ScienceAs a result of activities in grades K-4, all students should develop understanding of
The characteristics of organisms
Life cycles of organisms
Organisms and environments
Ns.5-8.3 Life ScienceAs a result of their activities in grades 5-8, all students should develop understanding of
Structure and function in living systems
Diversity and adaptations of organisms
Missouri Science Grade Level Expectations:
III-1A (1st) a,b (3rd) a, (5th) a,c,d; IV-1A (1st) a, (4th) a, 2A (3rd) a, b,c,d, (4th) a; VII-1A (K,1st,2nd,3rd) a,b, 1B (K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) a, d, 1C (K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) a, b, 1D (K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) a; VIII-3A (K, 1st, 2nd) a