1. Compare and contrast wearing powdered wigs in the 1700s, with the hairstyle of a Nigerian woman from the early 1900s.
2. Discussion of women’s fashion and ideals of beauty in the 1800s (vs. today), based on the painting Countess Széchenyi in the museum.
3. View a Japanese print of man with a tattoo and discuss history of tattooing practices.
4. Discuss Ancient American practice of head shaping.
5. Discuss other beauty practices, including body modification, and scarification.
Students will understand that:
1. Definitions of beauty vary for different cultures and in different time periods.
2. Works of art can reflect cultural values.
3. Modern adornment methods relate to those used throughout history, for example: body shaping, tattooing, piercing, scarification, cosmetic use, and artful arranging of hair.