1. This program begins by checking in the school.
2. Students "meet" puppeteer and show begins.
3. "Wake up Mr. Kolache!"- Mr. Kolache did not eat a healthy dinner and is feeling sluggish! Students help Mr. K make healthy food decisions for a good breakfast.
4. Shopping for groceries- Mr. K's grocery list isn't the most healthy, so students assist Mr. K as he shops and selects foods from each food group on MYPlate (puppeteer introduces MyPlate).
5. Eat Lunch- Mr. K needs a little help from students when he decides to make a sandwich for lunch-- a REALLY BIG sandwich (portion control).
6. Take a Walk- Students accompany Mr. K and his dog (hand puppet), Baklava, on a walk outside. Students walk in place as they observe nature through colorful, animated pictures (try to catch a balloon, move like a snail, etc.). This walk helps to clear Mr. K's head for his next "to do" list item.
7. Write a Story- Students brainstorm with puppeteer to assist Mr. Kolache in writing a story. Students recall their "walk" and suggest characters and events for Mr. K's story.
8. Q & A with puppeteer.
View and participate as a virtual audience in a live puppetry performance.
Develop an appreciation of puppetry as an art form and means of expression.
Identify the main food groups from MyPlate.
Identify and classify foods according to MyPlate.
Utilize critical thinking skills to assist Mr. Kolache in making healthy food decisions (generate and access solutions).
Engage in physical activity.
Brainstorm with Mr. Kolache to assist in a story writing project.
Health & Nutrition, NAPSE, Theatre Arts, Language Arts
National curriculum standards:
NPH-H.K-4.2 Health Information, Products, and Services
NPH-H.K-4.6 Setting Goals for Good Health
NPH-H.K-4.7 Health Advocacy
NPH-H.K-4.3 Reducing Health Risks
NPH.K-12.1 Movement Forms
NPH.K-12.2 Movement Concepts
NPH.K-12.3 Physical Activity
NPH.K-12.4 Physical Fitness
National Educational Technology Standards (NETS)
NT.K-12.1 Creativity and Innovation
NT.K-12.2 Communication and Collaboration
NT.K-12.3 Research and Information Fluency
NT.K-12.5 Digital Citizenship
NT.K-12.6 Technology Operations and Concepts
NA-T.K-4.7 ANALYZING AND EXPLAINING PERSONAL PREFERENCES AND CONSTRUCTING MEANINGS FROM
CLASSROOM DRAMATIZATIONS AND FROM THEATRE, FILM, TELEVISION, AND ELECTRONIC MEDIA PRODUCTIONS
NA-T.K-4.8 UNDERSTANDING CONTEXT BY RECOGNIZING THE ROLE OF THEATRE, FILE, TELEVISION, AND
ELECTRONIC MEDIA IN DAILY LIFE