1. Introduction by COSI.
2. Introduction by a member of the Lifeline of Ohio Team.
3. Video of an actual kidney transplant, with pre-recorded narration by OSU transplant team member.
4. Question and answer session about the organ donation process.
5. Video highlighting careers in organ transplant.
The participants will:
- view taped kidney transplant surgery (both donor and recipient procedures)
- explore medical careers associated both inside and outside of the operating room
- identify anatomy of the urinary system
- interact with a member of the Lifeline of Ohio Team through learner-led questions
Next Generation Science Standards Life Science:
HS-LS1-2. Develop and use a model to illustrate the hierarchical organization of interacting systems that provide specific functions within multicellular organisms.
HS-LS1-3. Plan and conduct and investigation to provide evidence that feedback mechanisms maintain homeostasis.
HS-LS3-1. Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
HS-LS3-2. Make and defend a claim based on evidence about the natural world that reflects scientific knowledge, and student-generated evidence.
HS-LS3-3. Apply concepts of statistics and probability to explain the variation and distribution of expressed traits in a population.
RST.9-10.3 Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks; attending to special cases or exceptions defined in the text.
RST.11-12.3 Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks; analyze the specific results based on explanations in the text.
RST.11.12.7 Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats and media (e.g. qualitative data, video, multimedia) in order to address a question or solve a problem.
Health Education Standards for Grades 6 - 12
2.8.2: Describe the influence of culture on health beliefs, practices, and behaviors.
2.8.4: Analyze how the school and community can affect personal health practices and behaviors.
2.8.5: Analyze how messages from media influence health behaviors.
2.8.8: Explain the influence of personal values and beliefs on individual health practices and behaviors.
2.12.5: Evaluate the effect of media and other factors on personal, family, and community health.
2.12.6: Evaluate the impact of technology on personal, family, and community health.
4.8.3: Demonstrate effective conflict management or resolution strategies.
4.12.1: Use skills for communicating effectively with family, peers, and others to enhance health.
Ohio Revised Science Standards and Model Curriculum High School
Biology Grade 9-12 – Science Inquiry and Application
Identify questions and concepts that guide scientific investigations;
Design and conduct scientific investigations
Formulate and revise explanations and models using logic and evidence (critical thinking)
Recognize and analyze explanations and models; and ? Communicate and support a scientific argument.
Ohio’s New Learning Standards: English Language Arts
Grades 9-12 – Text Types and Purposes
1. Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
Reading Standards for Literacy in Science and Technical Subjects
Grades 9-10 – Key Ideas and Details
3. Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks, attending to special cases or exceptions defined in the text.
Grades 11-12 – Key Ideas and Details
3. Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks; analyze the specific results bases on explanations in the text.