1. The presentation begins with the Charles Ingalls introducing himself and briefly discussing pioneer Christmas traditions in comparison to modern day traditions.
2. Charles Ingalls will tell one of his personal Christmas stories
2. Charles Ingalls will conduct a Christmas sing-along with the students.
3. Charles Ingalls will teach the students period dancing, and will then play live music on the fiddle for them while they dance.
4. The remaining time is for final questions.
The participant will:
-meet a character from the past
-hear an exciting story
-participate in a traditional dance
-sing Christmas songs
-develop a deeper understanding of Christmas traditions
NSS-USH.K-4.1 LIVING AND WORKING TOGETHER IN FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES, NOW AND LONG AGO
Understands family life now and in the past, and family life in various places long ago
Understands the history of the local community and how communities in North America varied long ago
NSS-USH.K-4.3 THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES: DEMOCRATIC PRINCIPLES AND VALUES AND THE PEOPLE FROM MANY CULTURES WHO CONTRIBUTED TO ITS CULTURAL, ECONOMIC, AND POLITICAL HERITAGE
Understands the folklore and other cultural contributions from various regions of the United States and how they helped to form a national heritage
NA-D.K-4.5 DEMONSTRATING AND UNDERSTANDING DANCE IN VARIOUS CULTURES AND HISTORICAL PERIODS
Achievement Standard, Proficient:
Students perform folk dances from various cultures with competence and confidence
Students learn and effectively share a dance from a resource in their own community; describe the cultural and/or historical context
Students accurately answer questions about dance in a particular culture and time period (for example: In colonial America, why and in what settings did people dance? What did the dances look like?)
NA-M.K-4.9 UNDERSTANDING MUSIC IN RELATION TO HISTORY AND CULTURE
Students identify by genre or style aural examples of music from various historical periods and cultures
Students describe in simple terms how elements of music are used in music examples from various cultures of the world