1. Discuss respect & empathy
2. Discuss influences on our behaviors including society and the media
3. Discuss ways we hurt others: things we say, things we do ("Heart Activity"), and things we don't do.
4. Discuss types of bullying: physical, verbal, social/emotional, cyber
A. Focus on social/emotional as "relational aggression"
B. Focus on cyber bullying and sexting
5. Discuss effects of bullying
6. Discuss ways to be an up-stander rather than a by-stander
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
1. Define and explain the importance of respect and empathy
2. Explain types of bullying and identify social/emotional bullying as the type most common to girls
3. Understand and use conflict solving skills to help in bullying situations
Standard 1 Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
Standard 2 Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
Standard 4 Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
Standard 5 Students will demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health.
Standard 7 Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
Standard 8 Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
Pennsylvania Health, Safety, & Physical Education
10.1.9 Concepts of Health, A Factors that Impact Development (relationships)
10.2.9 Healthful LIving, C Health Messages (media)
10.2.9 Healthful Living, D Decision Making
10.3.9 Safety & Injury Prevention, A Individual Responsibility (violence prevention)
10.3.9 Safety & Injury Prevention, C Strategies to Avoid/Manage Conflict
11.2.9 Balancing Responsibility, A Solve Dilemmas with Reasoning
11.2.9 Balancing Responsibility, E Impact of Technology
11.2.9 Balancing Responsibility, H Interpersonal Communication Skills