In this program, Mote Marine Laboratory will present a media-rich lesson on dolphins.
- Am I a Mammal?, an animal guessing game (4 minutes)
- The story of If a Dolphin Were a Fish (8 minutes)
- Story Thoughts, help answer a few questions about the story and about dolphins in general (7 minutes)
- Kinds of dolphins (2 minutes)
- How mammals, like dolphins, have adapted to live in the ocean (2 minutes)
- Questions and Answers (5-8 minutes)
Understanding Animal Diversity and Mammalian Characteristics Students will explore the diversity of ocean animals and learn about the unique characteristics that define mammals, with a specific focus on dolphins.
Developing Literacy and Reading Comprehension Skills Through reading and discussing the story, students will enhance their oral language skills, fluency, pronunciation, and reading comprehension
Encouraging Critical Thinking and STEM Engagement The program includes a Creative Minds learning segment designed to build critical thinking skills and promote engagement with STEM concepts
- OLP #5 – The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems
- OLP #6 – The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected
- 1.7 Global Collaborator – Students use digital tools to broaden their perspectives and enrich their learning by collaborating with others and working effectively in teams locally and globally.
Florida State Standards:
SC.K.N.1.5, SC.K.L.14.2, SC.K.L.14.3, SC.1.N.1, SC.1.N.1.1, SC.1.N.1.2, SC.1.N.1.4, SC.1.L.16.1, SC.1.L.17.1, SC.2.N.1.1, SC.2.N.1.3, SC.2.N.1.6, SC.2.L.17.1, SC.2.L.17.2, LAFS.2.RL.1.1, LAFS.K.RL.1.1, LAFS.K.RL.1.3, LAFS.K.RL.3.7, LAFS.K.RL.4.10, LAFS.K.RF.1.1, LAFS.K.RF.3.3, LAFS.K.RI.1.1, LAFS.K.RI.1.2, LAFS.K.RI.1.3, LAFS.K.RI.3.7, LAFS.K.RI.4.10, LAFS.K.SL.1.1, LAFS.K.SL.1.2, LAFS.K.SL.1.3, LAFS.K.SL.2.6, LAFS.K.L.1.1, LAFS.K.L.3.6, LAFS.1.RL.1.1, LAFS.1.RL.1.2, LAFS.1.RL.1.3, LAFS.1.RL.3.7, LAFS.1.RI.1.1, LAFS.1.RI.1.2, LAFS.1.RI.1.3, LAFS.1.RI.3.7, LAFS.1.SL.1.1, LAFS.1.SL.1.2, LAFS.1.SL.1.3, LAFS.1.SL.2.6, LAFS.1.L.1.1 , LAFS.2.RL.1.3, LAFS.2.RL.3.7, LAFS.2.RI.1.1, LAFS.2.SL.1.1, LAFS.2.SL.1.3, LAFS.2.SL.2.6, LAFS.2.L.1.1, LAFS.2.L.2.3