1. Welcome to Royal Botanical Gardens (RBG) and the program.
2. Review terms: Native/ Non-Native or Introduced Species
3. What is an invasive species? Highlight some common examples.
4. Explore some plants and animals (living and preserved) and learn more about how their impacts and characteristics of invasive species. There will be examples from RBG as well as local examples from participant's area.
5. Choose what to do next - Discuss what RBG could do and then discover what RBG is doing about the Carp OR What you can do to prevent invasive species taking hold while supporting native species.
6. Questions are welcome during and after the presentation.
The participant will:
- discover what an invasive species is and how it impacts ecosystems
- engage in a discussion about how these invasive species have come to a particular area and what could have been done to prevent this
- develop an appreciation of how a little thing can eventually make a big impact on the level of biodiversity especially when it doesn't belong in that particular ecosystem.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.8.SL.1c -- Pose questions that connect the ideas of several speakers and respond to others’ questions and comments with relevant evidence, observations, and ideas.
LS2A 6-8 -- Interdependent relationships in ecosystems
LS2A 9-12 -- Interdependent relationships in ecosystems
LS2C 6-8 -- Ecosystem dynamics, functioning, and resilience
LS2C 9-12 -- Ecosystem dynamics, functioning, and resilienceNational
NS.K-4.3 Life Science
As a result of activities in grades K-4, all students should develop understanding of:
- The characteristics of organisms
- Life cycles of organisms
- Organisms and environments
NS.5-8.3 Life Science
As a result of activities in grades 5-8, all students should develop understanding of:
- Structure and function of living systems
- Regulation and behaviour
- Populations and ecosystems
- Diversity and adaptations of organisms
As a result of activities in grades 9-12, all students should develop understanding of:
C. Life Science
- Interdependence of Organisms
F: Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
- Natural Resources
- Environmental Quality
Grade 6: Diversity of Living Things
Grade 7: Interactions in the Environment
Grade 9: Sustainable Ecosystems and Climate Change
Grade 11: Diversity of Living Things