1. Using her book "Story Puzzles, Tales in the Tangram Tradition", Valerie will tell a tangram story and explain the process.
2. Your students will exp;lore examples of student created tangram objects and review the geometry names.
3. We discuss "Character, Problem, Solution" and identify these elements in familiar stories.
4. Students create their own personal narrative, fiction or non-fiction story, with their pre-cut tangram pieces,
5. Q & A if time permits.
Students will need several sheets of paper and pre-cut tangram pieces. Valerie will send you the pattern.
The participant will:
1. create and begin writing his or her original story to tell using the art tangram method.
2. tell her/his own version of one of the stories Valerie told.
3. be able to identify the important parts of a story.
4. compare one of Valerie's stories to a story he/she is already familiar with.
5. develop an awareness and appreciation of stories that are told orally (without the book).
6. be able to identify the geometric shapes of square, circle, rectangle, triangle, parallelogram, diamond,
Valerie will tailor her program to the standards that you want to meet with this program. If you need to cover particular standards, let Valerie know and she will include those standards.
Literacy RL K.1 to .8, RL .1 to .10
Writing WK.1 to 8.10
Speaking and Listening K.SL.1 to 5.6
Art NA-VA.K-4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.6, NA-T.K-4.2, NA-D.K-4.1,4.3
K.G.A.1,K.G.A.2, 1.G.A.1, 2. G.A.1
Valerie will align her program to your state standards for your grade level.
Indiana: Literature: K.RL1 to 4.2,
Writing K.W.1 to 5,
Speaking and Listening K.SL.1 to 4.3