1. Introductions and goals
2. Introduce the phenomenon
3. Fire demonstration
4. Forest fire discussion
5. Hands on investigation
6. Virtual plant scavenger hunt game show
7. Choose an endangered animal
8. Design a solution to help protect an animal's habitat
The participant will...
- Recognize the pros and cons of forest fires
- Discuss claims, evidence and reasoning with others to determine the best solution to the proposed phenomenon
- Gain clearer understanding of NGSS aligned material and 3-dimensional learning
4-ESS3-1 Obtain and combine information to describe that energy and fuels are derived from natural resources and their uses affect the environment.
4-LS1-1 Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
4-ESS3-2 Generate and compare multiple solutions to reduce the impacts of natural Earth processes on humans.*
3-ESS3-1 Make a claim about the merit of a design solution that reduces the impacts of a weather-related hazard.*
3-5-ETS1-1 Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
3-5-ETS1-2 Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.