1. We discover that all of these holiday celebrations involve unique symbols, candles, number of days celebrated, stories and foods.
2. We start with Christmas and then explore Kwanzaa and Hanukkah.
3. Your students will use sign language to tell the Las Posadas story.
4. Together, we retell and draw a star to go with this story.
5. We sing and sign "We Wish You a Happy Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Las Posadas!"
6. We play an identification game to review the stories, foods, numbers, and symbols for all four holidays!
Please note: This program can be modified to focus on one particular holiday and to compare or contrast it to others.
Your students will:
- listen to and enjoy December celebration stories of Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Las Posadas, Christmas
- understand the differences and similarities in these four holidays
- be able to name a food, symbol, number, and story that is traditional to each holiday
- understand that all these holidays have candles as part of their traditions
- be able to draw the star for the story of Las Posadas
- be able to retell the Las Posadas story while drawing the star
- sing our sign language song for all the holidays.
Valerie will tailor her program to the standards that you are meeting with this program. Please let her know what standards you need to cover.
-Literacy RL K.1 to 8, RL .1 to .10.
-Literacy RL K.1 to 8, RL .1 to 4.
-Writing WK.1 to 8.10.
-Speaking & Listening SL K.1 to 5.6
-Art NA-T.K-4.2, NA-VA.K-4.1-3, NA-VA.K-4.6, NA-D.K-4.1-3
Valerie will identify these for you - just let her know!