.1. Author Valerie Marsh will begin this program with an original fiction story about snowflakes.
2. Children will retell the story with Valerie and create their own paper snowflakes. Students will need a piece of white photocopy paper and a pair of scissors.
3. Puppets Peepers and Dr. Einstein will present the topic of force, and the motion of push and pull.
4. Students will make predictions regarding what will happen to their snowflakes as they apply force.
5. Students will experiment with push and pull forces as they make their snowflake glide across
their desk pretending it is skating rink. Students will vary the amount of force that they use.
6. Liz will guide the students in using the string that will be provided in the teacher
packet as an incline for the snowflake. With this activity, students will observe Newton's
1st Law of Motion. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in
motion unless acted upon by another force.
7. Next the students use the string again as a snowflake 'zip line',. They predict how they can make their snowflake go faster by either increasing or decreasing the incline.
8. We will quickly review all science concepts and vocabulary and encourage students do the experiments at home.
be able to retell the fiction story about snowflakes.
be introduced to the scientific method.
understand the terms predict, and conclude.
learn about the forces of Push versus Pull
learn about the concept of Gravity.
learn about the concept of an incline
work cooperatively with a partner during the experiments.
be active participants while conducting an experiment.
develop an appreciation for physical science.
be able to demonstrate push/pull with an object of their choice
be able to demonstrate gravity with an object of their choice.
Valerie will tailor her program to the standards that you want to meet with this program. Please let her know if you have specific standards that you would like her to cover.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.1 to .4
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1 to .7
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.1 to .3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1 to .6
Art NA-T.K-4.2, NA-VA.K-4.1-3, NA-VA.K-4.6, NA-D.K-4.1-3
Science K-PS2-1, PS2.A, PS2-2,Motion, Stability, Gravity, PS2.B. PS3.C
Math K.G.A.1, K.G.A.2, 1.F.A.1, G.A.1, 2.G.A.1
Valerie will identify these for your state if you would like.