1. Author Valerie Marsh will begin this program with a quick review of the difference between fiction and non-fiction. Then she will tell an original fiction story about hearts.
2. Children will retell the story with Valerie and create their own paper hearts. Students will need a pencil, square piece of red paper and a pair of scissors. Having the paper pre-folded and the pattern already traced for your students might be very helpful.
3. Puppets Peepers and Dr. Einstein along with Miss Liz, Science Wiz, will present the topics of force, gravity and the motions of push and pull.
4. Students make predictions regarding what will happen to their paper hearts as they apply force.
5. Students experiment with push and pull forces as they make their heart glide across
their desk.. Students will vary the amount of force that they use.
6. Miss Lizl guides the students in using the string as a incline for the heart. With this activity, students will observe Newton's 1st Law of Motion. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by another force.
7. Next the students use the string again as a heart 'zip line'. They predict how they can make their heart go faster by either increasing or decreasing the incline.
8. We quickly review all science concepts and vocabulary and encourage students do the experiments at home and retell their heart story.
1. be able to retell the fiction story about Valentine's Day and hearts
2. be introduced to the scientific method.
3. understand the terms predict, and conclude.
4. learn about the forces of Push versus Pull
5. learn about the concept of Gravity.
6. learn about the concept of an Incline
7. work cooperatively with a partner during the experiments.
8. be active participants while conducting an experiment.
9. develop an appreciation for physical science.
10. be able to demonstrate push/pull with an object of their choice
11. be able to demonstrate gravity with an object of their choice.
Valerie will tailor her program to the standards that you want to meet with this program. Please let her know if you have specific standards that you would like her to cover.
CCSS.LEA-Literacy.RI.K.1 to .4
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1 to .7
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.1 to .3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1 to .6
Art NA-T.K-4.2, NA-VA.K-4.1-3, NA-VA.K-4.6, NA-D.K-4.1-3
Science K-PS2-1, PS2.A, PS2-2,Motion, Stability, Gravity, PS2.B. PS3.C
Math K.G.A.1, K.G.A.2, 1.F.A.1, G.A.1, 2.G.A.1
Valerie will identify these for your state if you would like.