1. Author Valerie Marsh will begin this program with a quick review of the difference between fiction and non-fiction and introduces our sign language.
2. Students tell our story with Valerie while using their own paper heart.
3. Miss Liz the Science Wiz presents the topics of force, gravity, friction and the motions of push, and pull.
4. Students predict what will happen to their paper hearts as they apply force.
5. Students experiment with push and pull forces as they make their heart glide across
several different surfaces. Students vary the amount of force that they use.
6. Miss Liz guides the students in using the string as a incline for the heart. With this activity, students will observe Newton's 1st Law of Motion. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by another force.
7. Next the students use the string again as a heart 'zip line'. They predict how they can make their heart go faster by either increasing or decreasing the incline. They use their paper clip to increase the weight and explore what happens and why.
8. We quickly review all sign language, science concepts and vocabulary, and encourage students do the experiments at home and retell their heart story.
1. be able to retell the fiction story and do our sign language
2. be introduced to the scientific method.
3. understand the terms predict, and conclude.
4. learn about the forces of Push versus Pull
5. learn about the concept of Gravity.
6. learn about the concept of an Incline
7. work cooperatively with a partner during the experiments.
8. be active participants while conducting an experiment.
9. develop an appreciation for physical science.
10. be able to demonstrate push/pull with an object of their choice
11. be able to demonstrate gravity with an object of their choice.
Valerie will tailor her program to the standards that you want to meet with this program. Please let her know if you have specific standards that you would like her to cover.
CCSS.LEA-Literacy.RI.K.1 to .4
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1 to .7
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.1 to .3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1 to .6
Art NA-T.K-4.2, NA-VA.K-4.1-3, NA-VA.K-4.6, NA-D.K-4.1-3
Science K-PS2-1, PS2.A, PS2-2,Motion, Stability, Gravity, PS2.B. PS3.C
Math K.G.A.1, K.G.A.2, 1.F.A.1, G.A.1, 2.G.A.1
Valerie will identify these for your state if you would like.