1. Author Valerie Marsh will begin this program with a quick review of the difference between fiction and non-fiction.l Then she will tell a fiction riddle story about a flower which is folded into a butterfly.
2. Children will discuss the math concept of line of symmetry, retell the story with Valerie and create their own paper butterflies. Students will need a pencil, piece of paper with photocopied pattern on it and a pair of scissors. Having the paper pre-folded and the pattern already traced and/or cut for younger students might be very helpful.
3. Puppets "Peepers and Dr. Einstein" along with Miss Liz Science Wiz, present the topics of gravity, force, and the motion of push and pull.
4. Students make predictions regarding what will happen to their paper butterflies as they apply force., drop them from different heights, and add paper clips to their butterflies.
5. Students will experiment with push and pull forces as they make their butterflies glide across
their desk. Students will vary the amount of force that they use.
6. Students will increase the speed of their butterfly by increasing the weight using a paper clip!
be able to retell our riddle story about flowers and butterflies
be introduced to the scientific method.
understand the terms predict, and conclude.
learn about the forces of Push versus Pull
learn about the concept of gravity
learn about the concept of an Incline
be able to identify the line of symmetry
work cooperatively with a partner during the experiments.
be active participants while conducting an experiment.
develop an appreciation for physical science.
be able to demonstrate push/pull with an object of their choice
be able to demonstrate gravity with an object of their choice.
During our video workshop, your students will need a pencil, paper clip, 20" length of string, or nylon cord, and a piece of paper with the pattern traced or photocopied on and a pair of scissors. Depending on your students, you might want to have the flower already cut out for them.
Valerie will tailor her program to the standards that you want to meet with this program. Please let her know if you have specific standards that you would like her to cover.
CCSS.LEA-Literacy.RI.K.1 to .4
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1 to .7
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.1 to .3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1 to .6
Science K-PS2-1, PS2.A, PS2-2,Motion, Stability, Gravity, PS2.B. PS3.C
Art NA-D.K-4.1, 4.3, NA-T.K-4.1, NA-VA.K-4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.6
Math K- 2MD.A.2
Valerie will identify these for your state if you would like.