1. Discuss drugs: exposure, classifications, gateways, intake methods
2. Discuss nervous system: basic parts and function
3. Discuss why people use drugs, reasons not to use drugs, and refusal skills
4. Tobacco: effects on respiratory system and trends
5. Alcohol: effects on brain and liver (egg demo)
6. Marijuana: effects on respiratory and nervous system (coordination activity)
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
1. Define a drug and explain the concept of a gateway drug
2. Explain the harmful effects of tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana on the body.
3. Understand why teen drug use is a “big deal” to the developing brain
Standard 1 Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
Standard 3 Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information, products, and services to enhance health.
Standard 4 Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
Standard 6 Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting skills to enhance health.
Standard 7 Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
Pennsylvania Health, Safety, & Physical Education
Grade 6 & 9
10.1.6 Concepts of Health, B Structure/Function of Major Body Systems
10.1.6 Concepts of Health, D Factors of Adolescent Drug Abuse
10.1.6 Concepts of Health, E Prevent Health Problems
10.1.9 Concepts of Health, A Factors of Development (risk taking)
10.1.9 Concepts of Health, E Impact of Personal Choice on Disease Prevention
10.2.9 Healthful Living, B Health Related Adolescent Consumer Choices
10.2.9 Healthful Living , C Impact of Media on Health