1. Heroin epidemic - education is key
2. Heroin - what is it?, what does it look like?, how is it abused?, trends (reasons teens abuse prescriptions discussion), how does it affect the body? (CNN Opiates video clip), signs and symptoms (Wizard of Oz analogy) & (Flight movie clip), behaviors of drug user
3. Understanding the epidemic - Statistics, link between Heroin and prescription opioid pain medications (Prescriptions video clip)
4. Addressing the epidemic - Naloxone, Good Samaritan Law, Pennsylvania's Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (Are You At Risk? quiz activity)
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
1. Explain the connection between prescription pain medications and heroin abuse
2. Describe heroin: what it is, what it looks like, and how it is abused
3. Identify the signs and symptoms of heroin abuse and explain the effects of heroin on the body
Standard 1 Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
Standard 2 Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
Standard 3 Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information, products, and services to enhance health.
Standard 5 Students will demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health.
Standard 7 Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
Pennsylvania Health, Safety, & Physical Education
10.1.6 B, D, E
10.1.9 B, D, E
10.2.6 A, B, E
10.2.9 A, B, E