1. Dating relationships - attitudes towards dating
2. Exposure to dating - dating vs. relationship
3. Common dating concerns - pressure, rejection/breakups
4. Healthy relationships - self-esteem, mutual respect, trust, separate identities, support, communication, balance, boundaries (Boundaries activity)
5. Unhealthy relationships - control, hostility, dishonesty, disrespect, dependence, abuse (Emotional abuse video)
6. Types of Abuse - emotional (Verbal abuse video), physical (texting physical abuse video), sexual
7. Scenarios of healthy vs. unhealthy dating relationships - red flags (scenario cards activity)
8. How to help yourself or others (discussion)
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
1. Identify characteristics of healthy and unhealthy relationships
2. Identify types of dating violence
3. Understand the importance of effective communication in a dating relationship
Standard 1 Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
Standard 2 Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
Standard 4 Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
Standard 5 Students will demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health.
Standard 7 Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
Pennsylvania Health, Safety, & Physical Education
10.1.9 Concepts of Health, A Factors that Impact Development (relationships)
10.1.9 Concepts of Health, E Impact of Personal Choice on Health
10.2.9 Healthful Living, C Media Messages on Personal Health/Safety
10.2.9 Healthful Living, D Decision Making with Safety Issues
10.3.9 Safety & Injury Prevention, A Individual Responsibility (self-protection)
10.3.9 Safety & Injury Prevention, C Avoid/Manage Conflict/Violence