-This program begins with a brief overview of the National Park Service and Zion National Park, as well as the other NPS sites in the southwest.
-We then discuss algae, bacteria, viruses, protozoa, fungus
-Students will then learn about biological soil crust its benefits to the ecosystem through video and images
-We will then discuss the impacts that human activity can have on biological soil crust
-The class will then be divided into groups and given an activity sheet documenting a current problem facing natural resources in the southwest, and be given a chance to create a management strategy. Students will present their ideas to the class.
-Time will be saved at the end for questions.
Students should come away:
• Naming the five types of microorganisms that are found in Zion’s soils
• Understanding the microorganisms and other components making up biological soil crust
• Explaining the role of biological soil crust as the foundation of Zion’s ecosystems
• Modeling the interactions between the different microorganisms in the soil
• Designing a way to reduce human impact on biological soil crust and the ecosystem at large
HS-LS2-7 Life Science
HS-LS4-6 Life Science
HS-LS1-2 Life Science
HS-ESS2-5 Earth Science