In this program, Mote Marine Laboratory will present a media-rich lesson on sharks.
- Shark Emoji, shark diversity guessing game (4 minutes)
- The story of Shark Baby (8 minutes)
- Creative Minds, help answer a few questions about the story and about sharks in general (7 minutes)
- Questions and Answers (5-8 minutes)
- Students will learn about ocean habitats and the diversity of animals in them.
- Students will learn about shark characteristics and the difference between egg-laying sharks and sharks that give birth to live young.
- Students will also use literacy and reading comprehension skills.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.1.RL.5 -- Explain major differences between books that tell stories and books that give information, drawing on a wide reading of a range of text types.
ESS2C K-2 -- The roles of water in Earth's surface processes
ESS3A K-2 -- Natural resources
LS1A K-2 -- Structure and function
LS1B K-2 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1D K-2 -- Information Processing
LS4D K-2 -- Biodiversity and humans
A full list of alignment to CORE and NGSS standards is available from Arbordale
K - SC.K.L.14.2, SC.K.L.14.3
2 - SC.2.L.16.1, SC.2.L.17.2