1. The program will begin with a series of questions designed to engage the students to use their knowledge about plants to determine plant parts and their functions.
2. We move onto a discussion of different ways we can use plants.
3. We then walk the students through our seed dissection lab.
4. We walk the students through the germination activity and explain how to use their plant journal.
5. If time allows, we take questions,
The students will:
- observe, describe, and identify the parts of a green plant
- explain the function of each part of a green plant
- label the parts of a seed on a diagram
LS1A 3-5 -- Structure and function
LS1A K-2 -- Structure and function
LS1B 3-5 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1B 6-8 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1B K-2 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1C 3-5 -- Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms
LS1C 6-8 -- Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms
LS1C K-2 -- Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms
LS2A K-2 -- Interdependent relationships in ecosystems
LS4D K-2 -- Biodiversity and humans
New York State
NGSS Learning Standards