1. This program begins with a Fall Risk Self -Assessment.
2. We then discuss the differences between physical risk factors and environmental risk factors.
3. Participants learn about the four fall prevention factors.
4. We participate in some chair yoga exercises.
5. Students will discover how to use mobility aids safely.
6. Exercises to improve dexterity in the hands will be conducted.
7. We will then practice techniques to fall safely.
8. Finally, students will brainstorm ideas to help themselves if they experience a fall when alone.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
1. Students will self-assess their risk for falling.
2. Students will identify physical and environmental risk factors for falls.
3. Students will list at least three things to help fall-proof a living space.
4. Students will name four key factors to prevent falls.
5. Students will describe two exercises or kinds of exercise to improve balance.
6. Students will list two ways to use a cane/walker safely.
7. Students will describe two ways to prevent wheelchair falls.
8. Students will demonstrate an understanding of how to fall safely.
9. Students will name two ways to help themselves if they suffer a fall.