1. Students discuss the connections between the Eastern Woodland American Indian tribes of the Cherokee and the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois).
2. We investigate natural resources and how they shaped the lives of indigenous peoples (culture is defined).
3. A sculpture of The Three Sisters (corn, beans and squash) is shared and discussed.
4. The Three Sisters story is presented through storytelling (oral history) and visual illustrations as participants act out the story through guided movement.
5. Students discuss the main ideas and meaning behind the fable.
6. Students investigate the science behind The Three Sisters crops through exploring natural resources in specific environments and how these companion crops benefit from their different structures.
7. Students are guided through a drawing activity of a member of the squash family, the pumpkin! Students explore complimentary colors, overlapping shapes, and adding personal elements into their artwork.
1. Identify regional, natural resources and importance to Indigenous cultures prior to European exploration.
2. Understand the historical context of art and artifacts from different Indigenous cultures.
3. Use visual vocabulary to articulate observations and interpretations of artworks.
4. Reflect on the story of The Three Sisters by identifying the main idea and message of the fable through participation in group discussion.
5. Investigate the science of how The Three Sisters benefit each other through an examination of how natural resources thrive in specific habitats, how plants areclassified as producers because they grow through processes like photosynthesis, and how each plant grows to benefit the other.
6. Create their own artwork which explores personal interests, community
National Core Arts Standards
Anchor Standard 1: Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work.
VA:Cr1.2.2a, VA:Cr1.2.3a, VA:Cr1.2.4a, VA:Cr1.2.5a.
Anchor Standard 10: Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make art.
VA:Cn10.1.2a, VA:Cn10.1.3a, VA:Cn10.1.4a, VA:Cn10.1.5a.
Anchor Standard 11: Relate artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding.
VA:Cn11.1.2a, VA:Cn11.1.3a, VA:Cn11.1.4a, VA:Cn11.1.5a.
National Standards for History
History Content Standards for Grades K-4
Topic 1: Standard 1B and 2B.
Topic 2: Standard 3A.
Topic 3: Standard 6A.
ELA Common Core Standards
Reading Standards for Literature: Grade 2. Craft and Structure 2.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 2. Comprehension and Collaboration 1.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 2. Comprehension and Collaboration 2.
Reading Standards for Literature: Grade 3. Key Ideas and Details 2.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 3. Comprehension and Collaboration 1.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 3. Comprehension and Collaboration 2.
Reading Standards for Literature: Grade 4. Key Ideas and Details 2.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 4. Comprehension and Collaboration 1.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 4. Comprehension and Collaboration 2.
Reading Standards for Literature: Grade 5. Integration of Knowledge and Ideas 7.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 5. Comprehension and Collaboration 1.
Speaking and Listening Standards: Grade 5. Comprehension and Collaboration 2.
Next Generation Science Standards
Second Grade: 2. Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity. 2-LS4-1.ams align and support National Educational Standards.
Third Grade: 3. Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity. 3-LS4-3.
Fourth Grade: From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes. 4-LS1-1.
Fifth Grade: 5. Matter and Energy in Organisms and Ecosystems. 5-LS1-1.
Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy and Dynamics. 5-LS2-1.
Georgia Standards of Excellence
Visual Arts: VA2.CR.2a,b, VA2.CR.3a,c,d, VA2.CN.1a,b, VA2.CN.2a, VA3.CR.2a,b, VA3.CR.3a,d,e, VA3.CN.1a,b, VA3.CN.2a, VA4.CR.2a,b, VA4.CR.3a,d, VA4.CN.1a,b, VA4.CN.2b,c, VA5.CR.2a,b,d, VA5.CR.3a,d, VA5CN.1a,b, VA5CN.2,a.
Social Studies: SS2H2a, SS2G2b,c,d, SS3H1a,b,c, SS3E1a.
Science: S2L1b, S3L1c, S4L1a,b.
ELA: ELAGSE2RL2, ELAGSE2RL7, ELAGSE2SL1a,b,c, ELAGSE2SL2, ELAGSE3RL2, ELAGSE3RL7, ELAGSE3SL1a,b,c,d, ELAGSE3SL2, ELAGSE4RL2, ELAGSE4RI7, ELAGSE4SL1a,b,c,d, ELAGSE4SL2, ELAGSE5RL2, ELAGSE5RL7, ELAGSE5SL1a,b,c,d, ELAGSE5SL2.