1. Students learn about Polynesian culture and traditions.
2. Students compare characters and objects from the film Moana to items from The Mariners' Museum's collection.
3. Students learn about wayfinding and celestial navigation.
4. Students learn about modern Polynesian wayfinders
5. Students are shown how to make their own navigational chart.
- Students will compare artifacts to movie images.
- Students will build a non-traditional map/chart.
- Students will compare past to the present through image comparison.
- Students will identify aspects of Polynesian people and culture.
- Students will identify 7 continents.
- Students will analyze a timeline and map showing Polynesian colonization.
- Students will create their own dance based on Polynesian traditions.
- Students will identify historical events and changes through time.
- Students will develop their own hypotheses.
Virginia History (2015):
3.1a-e, g, j; 3.7; VS.1d, g; USI.1a, d, g; USI.2a, c, d
Virginia Science (2018):
3.1a, cd, d; 3.2a, b; 3.4a; 4.1a-d; 4.7b; 5.1a-b; 5.2a-b; 5.3a-b, d; 5.9a-c
Virginia English (2017): 4.2a, c; 4.3a-b; 5.2a, d; 5.3a-c
Virginia Visual Arts (2013): 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.11, 3.13, 3.15, 4.1, 4.2, 4.4, 4.14, 4.16,
5.1, 5.3, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12, 5.13, 5.14, 5.17