1. Students review what the Ring of Fire is and where it is located.
2, Students discuss the causes and effects of earth quakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis.
3. Students are challenged to think about how they would design a boat that could withstand a tsunami.
4. Students examine boat designs from other cultures for inspirations.
5. Educator takes students through the steps of how to conduct this challenge at home.
- Student will learn the layers of the earth, theory of tectonic plate movement, three types of plate boundaries.
- Students will learn about geological activity at plate boundaries (volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides).
- Students will learn how natural disasters affect people globally.
- Students will learn how humans can create unique designs to survive natural disasters.
Next Generation Science Standards:
Elementary: 3-5-ETS1-1, 3-5-ETS1- 2, 3-5-ETS1-3, 4-PS3-2, 5-ESS2-1
Middle: MS-PS3-2, MS-PS4-2, MS-ESS2-1, MS-ESS2-2, MS-ESS2-3, MS-ESS3-1, MS-ESS3-2
Principles of Ocean Literacy:
1) The Earth has one big ocean with many features 2) The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of the Earth 5) The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected
Virginia Science: (2018)
Elementary: 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5, 5.8
Middle: 6.1, 6.3a, 6.4 (b,c), 6.6f, PS.1, PS.5b, PS.6, PS.8