1. Pattern of and reasons for use/misuse/abuse
2. Drug classifications: legal/illegal, intake methods, stimulant/depressants
3. Nervous system including substance abuse disorder
4. Chosen substance #1: general, why, what, effects, addiction, withdrawal
5. Chosen substance #2: general, why, what, effects, addiction, withdrawal
6. General conclusion
At the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
1. Define a drug including intake methods and classifications on how they affect the body
2. Explain the effects of the two selected drugs on the body
3. Define Substance Use Disorder as a brain based disease
Standard 1 Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
Standard 3 Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information, products, and services to enhance health.
Standard 4 Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
Standard 6 Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting skills to enhance health.
Standard 7 Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
Pennsylvania Health, Safety, & Physical Education
Grade 6 & 9
10.1.9 A, D, E
10.1.12 D, E
10.2.9 C, D
10.2.12 D, E