For a complete program overview and detailed lesson plan, please visit our website.
Teacher-led Pre-Program - 15 Minutes
1. Activity 1: An Introduction to Mesa Verde
Teachers are encouraged to provide their students with a brief overview of Mesa Verde National Park prior to their scheduled ranger-led program. More information will be provided in the confirmation packet.
Ranger-led Program - 45 Minutes
(The following activities will be led by a ranger during the live program.)
1. Introduction: Ranger will introduce students to Mesa Verde National Park and will provide a brief program overview.
2. Activity: What if your home became a national park site?
In this activity, students will learn about the difficulties we face when learning about the past. Together, we will brainstorm different techniques and lines of evidence historians and archaeologists use to help piece together a more accurate image.
3. Activity: Think Like an Archaeologist
Students will have the opportunity to look at several objects archaeologists have removed from cliff dwelling sites. Working in small groups, students will try to figure out what the objects are and how they might have been used.
4. Activity: Knowledge Through the Generations
Through a series of pre-recorded videos, students will learn about the cliff dwelling objects directly from a descendent of the Ancestral Pueblo people who made them.
5. Conclusion: Ranger will provide a program summary and will review the main concepts covered in the program.
1. Explore the difficulties and challenges presented when learning about the past.
2. Learn the value of multiple lines of evidence and multiple ways of knowing.
3. Develop an appreciation for Native American history and heritage.
4. Understand the direct connections between the Ancestral Pueblo people and modern Pueblo communities.
3rd Grade: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.3, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.7, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.3.1
4th Grade: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.4.6, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.4.9