1. The program begins by learning about Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, the National Park Service and Mission: Resilience.
2. Students complete a mindfulness breathing activity and reflect on what connection means to them.
3. We then discuss the definition of resilience and the resiliency tenets of Connection + Self-Regulation.
4. As a group, students complete a web-of-life game while learning about the Sonoran Desert ecosystem.
5. Students discuss the connection of the Ancestral People to the desert and to each other.
6. Students reflect on connections in their lives and build a web-of-resilience.
7. 5-10 minutes will be left at the end for student questions.
At the end of this program, students will be able to:
• Understand the role of connection in an individual’s and community’s success.
• Discuss connections in the Sonoran Desert ecosystem.
• Identify the connections Ancestral People had to the desert and to each other.
• Reflect on their own connections and resilience.
Common Core Standards
Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 3 topics and texts, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 4 topics and texts, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
Ask and answer questions about information from a speaker, offering appropriate elaboration and detail.
Identify the reasons and evidence a speaker provides to support particular points.
3.SP1.2 Compare life in specific historical time periods to life today.
3.G2.1 Explain how people modify and adapt to the Arizona environment.
3.SP4.1 – Explain probable causes and effects of events.
4.SP1.2 Compare life in specific historical time periods to life today.
4.G2.1 Compare the diverse ways people or groups of people have impacted, modified, or adapted to the environment of the Americas.
4.SP4.1 Explain probable causes and effects of events and developments.
3.L2U1.7 - Develop and use system models to describe the flow of energy from the Sun to and among living organisms.
3.L2U1.8 – Construct an argument from evidence that organisms are interdependent..
4.P4U1.1 - Develop and use a model to demonstrate how a system transfers energy from one object to another even when the objects are not touching.