1. This program begins with a discussion about the National Park Service "arrowhead" emblem.
2. Participants then watch a short introductory video about Sleeping Bear Dunes.
3. We get into the core of the program by defining what an adaptation is..
4. Different adaptations of bears are discussed, such as hibernation and their keen sense of smell.
5. We put our science caps on and ponder how scientists can know exactly what bears eat.
6. We discuss whether bears should eat human food and how to respect bears and keep them wild.
7. Time is allowed for questions and answers.
- list two basic things bears need to survive
- list two adaptations bears use to meet their needs
- think like a scientist by observing then documenting and describing their observations
ESS3A K-2 -- Natural resources
ESS3C K-2 -- Human impacts on Earth systems
LS1A K-2 -- Structure and function
LS1B K-2 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS4C K-2 -- Adaptation