1. Using a video of an insect and their previous knowledge, students will discuss how we can tell insects apart from other animals.
2. Students will be shown three live animals, and using their observations will try to figure out if those three animals are insects or not.
3. Students are asked to use their observations to solve the mystery of what connects our three animals together - they are all part of a life cycle!
4. After discovering that beetles have a similar life cycle to butterflies, we will discuss what else goes through similar life cycle, and how the life cycles of other insects may differ. Then students answer the question - what else has a life cycle?
1. The participants will use observations and questions to get to know a living insect and will engage in discussions about their observations and questions.
2. The participants will be able to identify the four life stages of insects that go through complete metamorphosis
3. The participants will develop an appreciation and awareness of invertebrates
LS1A K-2 -- Structure and function
LS1B 3-5 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1B K-2 -- Growth and development of organisms