1. The program begins with an introduction to Southeast Arizona National Parks and the presenting ranger.
2. We then discuss the National Park Service arrowhead and what it represents.
3. Next, participants are introduced to Grace Sparkes and her importance to early Arizona tourism.
4. Then we identify why Coronado National Memorial was established and barriers that were overcome to make it happen.
5. The remaining time will be used to answer questions.
In this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe accomplishments of Grace Sparkes and her influence on the early tourism industry of Arizona
- Identify the difference between a national memorial and a national monument
- List at least two things that stood in the way of making Coronado National Memorial a reality and how they were overcome
Common Core Standards
Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 3-5 topics and texts, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
Ask and answer questions about information from a speaker, offering appropriate elaboration and detail.
Identify the reasons and evidence a speaker provides to support particular points.
Summarize the points a speaker makes and explain how each claim is supported by reasons and evidence.
Arizona State Social Studies Standards
3.SP1.3 Generate questions about individuals and groups who have impacted history.
3.SP2.1 Explain why individuals and groups have different points of view on the same event.
3.H1.1 Utilize a variety of sources to construct a historical narrative exploring Arizona’s cultures, civilizations, and innovations.
• Influential individuals and groups in the history and development of Arizona.
3.H2.1 Use primary and secondary sources to generate questions about the causes and effects of conflicts and resolutions throughout Arizona’s history.
5.H2.1 Use primary and secondary sources to summarize the causes and effects of conflicts, resolutions, and social movements throughout the historical timeframe.