1. This program introduces Poe's childhood in Richmond, Virginia and highlights primary sources relating to his childhood.
2. Then students will learn about Poe's early adult life (his time at UVA , serving in the army, and attending West Point).
3. Students will learn about Poe's influence in the literary world including his impact on the genres of science-fiction, mystery, and horror. Several of Poe's work will be highlighted including Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Raven.
4. The program will conclude with an overview of Poe's enduring legacy today.
1. Students will understand Edgar Allan Poe's influence over the gothic, science-fiction, and mystery genres, as well as his influence in 19th-century poetry.
2. Students will demonstrate comprehension of Edgar Allan Poe's life and how it affected his literature.
3. Students will analyze Poe's enduring legacy today.
Virginia Standards of Learning: