1. The program starts with a discussion about the sun and what role it plays here on earth.
2. The educator will show a slide show to further demonstrate interesting information about the sun and out solar system.
3. The students will learn about eclipses and hear cultural and historical stories that highlight meaning attributed to the sudden disappearance of the sun.
4. The students will make an age appropriate project.
5. If time allows, we take questions.
- discuss the movements of the sun, moon, and planets and recognize patterns.
- gain an understanding of how the sun affects the earth through light, heat, energy, gravity, and chemical interactions.
- explore the role the sun plays in the solar system and give perspective on size and relative distances in the solar system
- engage in a discussion of solar eclipses and their cultural and historic significance
ESS1A 3-5 -- The universe and its stars
ESS1A 6-8 -- The universe and its stars
ESS1A 9-12 -- The universe and its stars
ESS1A K-2 -- The univese and its stars
ESS1B 3-5 -- Earth and the solar system
ESS1B 6-8 -- Earth and the solar system
ESS1B 9-12 -- Earth and the solar system
ESS1B K-2 -- Earth and the solar system
ESS2D 3-5 -- Weather and climate
ESS2D 6-8 -- Weather and climate
ESS2D 9-12 -- Weather and climate
ESS2D K-2 -- Weather and climate
PS2A 3-5 -- Forces and motion
PS2A 6-8 -- Forces and motion
PS2A 9-12 -- Forces and motion
PS2A K-2 -- Forces and motion
PS3A 3-5 -- Definitions of energy
PS3A 6-8 -- Definitions of energy
PS3A 9-12 -- Definitions of energy
PS3D 3-5 -- Energy in chemical proceses and everyday life
PS3D 6-8 -- Energy in chemical proceses and everyday life
PS3D 9-12 -- Energy in chemical proceses and everyday life
PS3D K-2 -- Energy in chemical proceses and everyday life
PS4B 3-5 -- Electromagnetic radiation
PS4B 6-8 -- Electromagnetic radiation
PS4B 9-12 -- Electromagnetic radiation
PS4B K-2 -- Electromagnetic radiation
NYS NGSS Learning Standards: P-ESS1-1, P-PS3-1, 1-ESS1-2, 1-PS4-2, 4-PS3-4, 4-ESS3-1, 5-PS3-1, 5-ESS1-1, MS-PS2-4, MS-ESS1-1, MS-ESS1-2, MS-ESS1-3, MS-ESS2-4, MS-ESS2-6, HS-ESS1-7