1. Discuss the word "renaissance" and highlight characteristics of Harlem Renaissance.
2. Compare motifs concerning the Harlem Renaissance in visual arts and literature using works by Augusta Savage, Romare Bearden, and Langston Hughes.
3. Short video clip of “Weary Blues” by Langston Hughes with student drawing activity.
4. Discuss factors leading to the Harlem Renaissance.
5. Discuss works of artists such as Jacob Lawrence and James Van Der Zee in documenting African American history.
1. The students will understand that the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920’s - 30’s was a period of enormous creativity including literature, performing arts, and visual arts.
2. The students will understand that several unique creative personalities emerged during the Harlem Renaissance, including artists such as Romare Bearden, Jacob Lawrence and James Van
All programs are aligned with the National Education Standards, Ohio Department of Education Academic Standards, and New York State Learning Standards.