Direct instruction with archival images and historical artifacts.
1. Students will go through an overview of the Cold War and the role that the Vietnam War played within the broader context of the Cold War.
2. Students will be introduced to the Women's Army Corps and the Army Nurse Corps, as well as the number of women that served during the Vietnam war.
3. Students will watch a clip from an archival film and get an overview of the WACs before and deploying to Vietnam
4. Students will be introduced to a multitude of different women who served in the Women's Army Corps and the different roles that they played during the Vietnam War.
5. Students will listen to an oral testimony and understand the role that testimony can play in understanding history, as well as the importance of testimony as a primary source.
6. Students will learn about the roles that Army Nurses played in the Vietnam War.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.11-12.RL.9 -- Demonstrate knowledge of eighteenth-, nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century foundational works of American literature, including how two or more texts from the same period treat similar themes or topics.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.9-10.RL.1 -- Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.NSS-USH.5-12.9 ERA 9