1. Discuss the role of Zookeepers at a Zoo
2. Food & Enrichment Examples
3. Interactive Training Demonstration
4. X-Ray Diagnosis Activity
5. Live Animals & Biofacts Presented Throughout
1. Define AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) and;
2. Discuss its (the AZA’s) relevance to animal welfare.
3. Identify at least three basic needs and one complex need of animals kept under human care
4. Demonstrate the process of operant conditioning (training) used by the Greenville Zoo*
*Only for relevant/appropriate audiences
Next Generation Science Standards:
o K-ESS3-3 Earth and Human Activity: Communicate solutions that will reduce the impact of humans on the land, water, air, and/or other living things in the local environment.
o 5-ESS3-1 Earth and Human Activity: Obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.
o K-LS1-1 Interdependent Relationship in Ecosystems: Use observations to describe patterns of what plants and animals need to survive
International Society for Technology in Education Standards:
o ISTE 7- Global Collaborator
National Institute of Senior Centers:
o Standard 5 Program Planning: A senior center shall provide a broad range of group and individual activities and services that respond to the needs and interests of older adults, families, and caregivers in its community or service area.