1. This program begins with the students imagining what it would have been like for people thousands of years ago in winter
2. We explore the history of using evergreens, and flowers at this time of year and the ancient traditions behind the use of this plants.
3. Students will, with the help of the instructor, learn to identify 4 main evergreen conifers.
4. Students will discover the reasons behind some of the common spices we use
5. Time is allowed for questions and answers.
The participant will:
- explore the variety and importance of plants in our holiday traditions
- discover where these plants come from around the world.
- develop an appreciation of how traditions can migrate when people and their plants do.
NSS-G.K-12.2: PLACES & REGIONS As a result of their activities in grades K-12, all students should:
- Understand how culture and experience influence people's perceptions of places and regions.
Gain Knowledge and Understanding of Other Cultures
Students demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the practices and perspectives of the culture studied
NSS-WH.5-12.3 ERA 3: CLASSICAL TRADITIONS, MAJOR RELIGIONS, AND GIANT EMPIRES, 1000 BCE-300 BCE
The student in grades 5-12 should understand
the emergence of Aegean civilization and how interrelations developed among peoples of the eastern Mediterranean and Southwest Asia, 600-200 BCE.
NSS-WH.5-12.5 ERA 5: INTENSIFIED HEMISPHERIC INTERACTIONS, 1000-1500 CEThe student in grades 5-12 should understand
the redefining of European society and culture, 1000-1300 CE.
NSS-WH.5-12.6 ERA 6: THE EMERGENCE OF THE FIRST GLOBAL AGE, 1450-1770
The student in grades 5-12 should understand:
economic, political, and cultural interrelations among peoples of Africa, Europe, and the Americas,1500-1750.