1. This program begins with an introduction to rod puppets.
2. Students will view rod puppets or replicas from museum collection.
3. Presenter will lead students through puppet building steps, beginning with the head.
4. Rods are attached to finished puppets.
5. Very basic manipulation techniques are demonstrated. If time, students can demonstrate.
6. For the extended program (120 minutes in length), students will be divided into groups of five. Manipulation work continues.
7. Scenes will be distributed to each group to read and review.
8. The presenter will assign specific roles to each students in the group (puppeteer, narrator, foley/sound effects).
9. Groups will rehearse.
10.Groups will perform.
90 minute program:
Students will be introduced to rod puppets or replicas from museum collection
Students will create a working rod puppet from recycled newspaper.
Students will be introduced to body proportions and apply the principles and elements to their puppet design.
Students will manipulate puppets through movement exercises.
120 minute program:
Students will participate in a team puppet performance.
Students will be exposed to art criticism through peer review.
Fine Arts: Visual & Theatre/Performing Arts