1. I briefly introduce myself and my book.
2. I explain how space photography provides scientists with important information
3. We look at images of Mars. Students analyze the images through a guided process which includes specific questions I pose.
4. Students are presented with an image and asked to write a brief caption. Younger students may be asked to share their caption verbally rather than write it down.
5. I reverse the process and provide information I want to show in a picture and ask students to describe how this picture might look.
6. I answer questions.
The participant will
-learn how to look at space photography and discover scientific information in the image
-write a caption to accompany a scientific image
-imagine a picture that would help illustrate a scientific fact (a helpful researching skill)
-gain scientific information/content about Mars and the solar system
-discover the relationship between science and art
NS K-4, NS 5-8 Science as Inquiry
NS K-4, NS 5-8 Unifying concepts and processes in science.
NS K-4, NS 5-8 Physical Science
NS K-4, NS 5-8 Earth and Space Science
NS K-4, NS 5-8 Science and technology
NS K-4, NS 5-8 Science in personal and social perspectives