1. Short quiz with students about American Indians
2. Discussion about boarding schools
3. Review of American Indians symbols, and the importance of language.
4. Overview of American Indians in Europe during WWII- Medal of Honor winners, and Joe Medicine Crow counting coup on the Germans
5. Overview of American Indians in the Pacific during WWII- Ira Hayes, Navajo Code Talkers
6. Legacy and connections to today
Students will understand the importance of the preservation of American Indian languages and symbols.
Student will explore the meaning of the word "warrior" in the tradition of many American Indian nations and how WWII soldiers exhibited warrior traits on the battlefronts
Students will learn about the injustices and prejudices against American Indians before, during and after the war.
NSS-USH.5-12.8 ERA 8: THE GREAT DEPRESSION AND WORLD WAR II (1929-1945)