1. What comes to mind when you here the word Monarch Butterfly.
2. Explore the range and basic habitat needs of a monarch including host and food plants.
3. We'll examine in more detail each stage - egg, larva (caterpillar), pupa (chrysalis), adult (butterfly)
4. Discuss what you can do to help provide monarch habitat
5. Questions will be encouraged throughout the presentation and after.
The participant will:
- discover the life cycle stages of the monarch butterfly
- explore the migration from Mexico to Canada
- engage in a discussion about how they can help pollinators
- develop an appreciation for the needs of monarch butterflies and other pollinators
LS1A 3-5 -- Structure and function
LS1A 6-8 -- Structure and function
LS1A K-2 -- Structure and function
LS1B 3-5 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1B 6-8 -- Growth and development of organisms
LS1B K-2 -- Growth and development of organismsCommon Core Standards:
Pose and respond to specific questions to clarify or follow up on information, and make comments that contribute to the discussion and link to the remarks of others.
Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade level topics and texts, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
Compare and contrast the information gained from experiments, simulations, video, or multimedia sources with that gained from reading a text on the same topic.
Gr 1: Life Systems: Characteristics and Needs of Living Things: B1.1; B2.2, B2.3, B2.6
Gr 2: Life Systems: Growth and Changes in Animals: B1.2; B2
Gr 3: Life Systems: Growth and Changes in Plants: B2.8
Gr 4: Life Systems: Habitats and Communities: B1; B2
Gr 6: Life Systems: Biodiversity: B1.2; B2.5
Gr 7: Life Systems: Interactions in the Environment: B1.2; B2.4